Chester L. Sumpter
Email: Contact Chester L. Sumpter
Chester (Ches) L. Sumpter is an attorney licensed to practice law in the state of Ohio. Ches is the founder and principal of Sumpter Law, LLC. His primary practice areas are public school district health plans, education, and business. Ches has earned an AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell™, the highest rating available for legal ability and professional ethics.
Ches has been providing ongoing legal services to Ohio public school districts for over 20 years. He has developed extensive experience in the representation of school district health insurance consortiums, as well as individual school districts in connection with their health plans. Ches understands the legal compliance necessary for school districts to establish and maintain self-funded health plans, and has been involved in the formation of self-funded consortium health plans.
Ches provides ongoing legal services to individual public school districts in a broad range of areas, such as HR matters, student services, public bidding, board policy, sunshine laws, and contracts. He has served as a board of education designee to hear appeals of student suspensions and expulsions.
Ches has provided legal services to small businesses for over 20 years. He provides ongoing general representation to business clients in areas such as contract negotiation, personnel matters, real estate, litigation and corporate compliance. Ches also has extensive experience in the area of business entity formation.
- Education Law
- Health Insurance
- Real Estate
- Business Law
- Corporate Law
- Ohio, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1986
- University of Virginia — J.D., 1985
- George Washington University — M.A. in International Affairs, with Honors, 1982
- Georgetown College — B.A., summa cum laude, 1980
Associations and memberships
- Cleveland, Ohio State and American Bar Associations
- Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
Previous legal employment
- Baker & Hostetler, Cleveland, Ohio (1985-1990)
- Schneider, Smeltz, Ranney & LaFond P.L.L. (1990 to 2001, Partner: 1994 to 2001)
Sumpter Law, LLC serves clients in several counties throughout Ohio.